The Barcelona World Race is the first and only double-handed (two crew per boat), non-stop, round the world regatta. It is a lap of the globe starting and finishing in Barcelona (Spain). External assistance is permitted, although there are strict penalty regulations. This is an extreme sporting challenge and ocean adventure that puts human limits to the test.
The Barcelona World Race 2014/15 is the third edition of the regatta. The first edition was held in 2007/08 and the second in 2010/11.
The start of the race is on the 31st of December 2014, with the starting line positioned opposite the W Barcelona hotel at the city's port. The finishes are forecasted for the end of March 2015.
The boats cover some 24,000 nautical miles in a circumnavigation from Barcelona to Barcelona, putting the capes of Good Hope, Leeuwin and Horn to port (their left) and the Antarctic to starboard (their right). During the three months of racing the skippers make their way through 12 climate zones and cross 3 oceans, as well as sailing in the Mediterranean Sea. [The course]
The crews race on IMOCA 60 yachts, 18 metres in length. Their masts can reach up to a maximum of 29 metres, as high as a building with ten floors.
Regulations for technical stops
- The Barcelona World Race 2014/15 permits a maximum of three technical stops.
- A 'technical stop' is any stop during the race to carry out technical repairs with external assistance to enable the crew to complete the regatta.
- The technical stop begins when the boat is moored at a port or an anchoring spot.
- If the boat anchors at sea, with no external assistance, this is not considered a technical stop.
- The total number of days for a stop (or the total of all three stops) must not exceed eight days.
- When a technical stop is made, the boat must stay at the port, or the location where assistance is being received for a minimum of 24 hours before restarting the race. That rule is applicable to any stopping point on the course.
- A return to Barcelona after the start is not penalised, but the yacht must restart the race within eight days.